Saturday, February 19, 2011

The writer in me...

Well, the only thing which keeps me sane during my tiring 1.5 hour journey to office is reading books. Somehow, I have a passion for books (read as ‘addiction’). The moment I start reading one, I am hooked to it. Now, this time, it is “2 States” – by Chetan Bhagat. Another love story, which is too too good. Yes, it is about how his own love story which ended up in love marriage. What’s with all these guys writing their love stories as books? It’s good to read them, nevertheless. If I had had my way, and if I were single, I would have got down at Nungambakkam station, sat in the chair near the steps, completed this book and then left for my home. However, I have two kids and a poor husband who doesn’t sleep unless he watches his wife have dinner, even if the wife comes home at 11 in the night. So, I was able to complete this book only today, after two days.

Ok, coming back to the point. How I wish, I could end up reading my own story in a book. Well, expecting my guy to read a book (let alone write) is like expecting me to drive a bullet. The only way for me read my story in a book is for me to write it. So, now, I have developed this very strange desire to write books. Yes, I WANT TO BECOME A WRITER. There, I have declared it aloud.

Somewhere, along the story of this book, he – the author says to his lover, that he wants to become a writer some day and inspire his Indian readers. I think, he has achieved that, at least in my case, unaware of the terrible consequences. I am definitely inspired by him to start writing. Someday, in the future, if I become a writer, and if I am bad, Chetan Bhagat is to be blamed, not me. The credit, of course comes to me.

Even as I express my desire to write a book, I think I know exactly how many readers I will have. Number one, my poor friend, upon whom I can very happily force this book for the sole purpose of torturing him and number two, my guy, for whom I shall write the book, if at all he decides to read. But somehow, I still cannot imagine my hubby reading a book, even if it is written by me. “Why bother to read, when I already know what happened” would be his instant reply. My blogs, yes, he can manage to read, because he doesn’t lie to me and he has to give me a positive reply, when I ask him if he read my blog. But a book, I am really not sure.

When I was blabbering to husband about my so-called desire to write a book, he was trying to listen, or so I believe, and at the same time, switching channels in TV. (What would these guys do if cricket was not invented? Or TV, for that matter) When, finally, there was a commercial break in almost all the channels, he fully realized my intentions and brought me back to my senses, saying that writing a book may be in my hands, but definitely not publishing the book. This was not some stupid blog site, which I can open for free and start scribbling things. That the publishers should be ready to accept and publish my work, if at all, I get to write any, that is. He's got a point there, I guess.

This is not some stupid new year resolution, which I can conveniently forget after Jan 1st week, but a desire deep from the heart. I need to work out the possibilities and see what needs to be done to publish a book. And then start writing. But since there is nothing much, I can do about it for the time being, I use my “Blame him for everything” strategy and tell him that he is not encouraging enough, doesn’t take any initiative for his wife becoming a writer, and blah…blah…blah…

For now, all I can do is to post my future intentions in this blog, and do nothing else about it.

P.S: Readers, be aware that you are reading the blog of the author of upcoming India’s No.1 Bestseller book. So, all those who post comments here, will definitely get free signed copies of my book, when it gets published. Don’t miss it!!!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha (for the last 2 lines!!) Good intentions! You can actually write some long blogs ans send it to publishers for them to feel the flow of your thoughts and your writing style.

    PS: Now am I also entitled for a free signed copy?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dheepa : Please dont scare us like this Gayathri..

    ReplyDelete